Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Westward Ho! cont.

The success I had in Phoenix was only followed by the failures I had in Greensboro. Culture shock is what I felt but I never left my own country. If my time in rural Kentucky had grown my country mouse my time in Phoenix had grown my city mouse into a cat that devoured my country mouse. I wasn't in the a rural setting but I felt like everything was backwards. The West is progressive while the South does not have that same feeling. That is what hurt us the most. We were aliens and we wanted to go home. Aliens that couldn't go home not yet we new we were stronger than just a little movers remorse but still that larger cultural force was moving against us. I cannot remember feeling like more of an outsider, everybody was nice just different. Shannon and I couldn't stand it, it sent us to the brink, then out of sheer desperation while walking the dog I started staring into a patch of clover. I thought if I can find a four leaf clover then I will make it. I looked and looked optimism started to grow inside of me. I started feeling better just looking for the clover just being hopeful. It was not much of a surprise when I did find the clover because I could all ready feel it's power working on me. I was immediately uplifted in spirit and knew that I could find a way to survive and thrive. Shannon had the exact same experience. Also feeling down she walked the dog over to the clover patch and began to search for the famed lucky four leaf clover. I remember her telling me this story and thinking that there is no way that she would find one. But as she told me her story I knew again that she would. The way that a married couple shares things that are some times too close to the heart for words I knew that she had felt that doom in her heart and joy of finding the lucky charm. As she continued with her story I herd her go through my exact experience. Feelings of doubt and looking for salvation in a piece of clover, that simply said everything will be OK. She found it and I then told my story which was much abbreviated because they were the same for both of us. We would be all right. We were a pair of four leafed clover in a field of threes stranded until something took us away.

No comments:

Followers