Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Chapter 2 Cotton Square mall


I started seeing the man who is not there about a month ago. He is always in the same spot staring at me when I make a turn and cross over the rail road tracks. I cannot see and details he is clouded in shadow. I only see him when I am driving on the tracks. Once I cross he is gone. He stands behind the rail road crossing barricade. Hidden by the steel framework he simply stares at me. I try and ignore him but his stare calls to me. I cannot see his face but I know he is staring at me. I wonder is this is another attempt of the FuzZ but this feels different.



I wake up from my dream and he was in it. I haven't seen the man at the tracks for several months. The lot behind the tracks houses an old textile factory that turned into a mall several years later. I never saw any of that all I see when I drive by on my daily commute to work is a huge brick building about three stories tall with a smoke stack out back. The parking lot is cracked and filled with weeds poking through trying to retake the forgotten landscape. In my dream I am a crow sitting on top of the crossing framework. I am directly over the tracks. I survey the land. Behind me is the gas station I pass everyday on my way to work just before I cross the tracks. Everything looks normal, just as it does everyday I pass. Random people filter in and out of the store, pulling in and pulling out in cars on their way. Turning around I look at the abandoned factory called The Cotton Square Mall. This is a dramatically different scene. I can see the man who is not there. He is real, all of this time I merely thought I was hallucinating. He is there and he is staring across the tracks looking for me just like always. The Mall is mostly decayed, the back half of the building is gone like someone just sliced a pie piece away from it. It looks like fire damage. There is no roof, all of the windows are gone. The smokestack that once dominated the skyline has started to erode onto itself and only stands about half of its former height. The weeds that have been taking back the parking lot have won the battle. Only a few patches of asphalt show trough a parking lot that covered several acres.

This view is all wrong. When I last say the Cotton square mall it was almost entirely torn down. Cranes, track hoes, and several other heavy equipment machines are making short work of this once all important factory. The vegetation strikes me the hardest. Everything is dry and brown. At first I think that everything is long dead but I realize that it is merely in a state of drought. Was there some horrific accident to this place to stop the rain? Or did we simply just waste all of the water away. There is no visible sign of life except the man staring across the tracks. He remains clouded in shadow covered in black amidst a landscape that is brown. Most of the trees that dominated this area are gone and I can see much further than ever before when I have driven past this area. I am filled with curiosity about this place coupled with fear of it being our future. It can't be this worlds future. The mall tells me that. This world has already deviated from that because here the mall is being destroyed and there it still stands. Is this where I am heading, a glimpse into my future, I must prepare.

No comments:

Followers